Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Blog HW #2

Honestly, the book How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents did not teach me anything that I can take away and benefit from in my own life.  The main reason I say this is because that the Garcia girls and I come from different backgrounds and have experienced different events in our lives.  Though, on the other, one thing I did learn is to not be strict with my kids, for fear of rebellion, and also do not do anything that the girls did in the book at any point in my life.  There are not a lot of life lessons evident in this book.  I felt that the book was more meant as a chronicle of their lives, and not to teach any life lessons to the people reading the book.  Not to sound sarcastic, but one thing it did teach me was not to write a book in reverse-chronological order, because to me, it seems pointless to write that way because it would be harder to pinpoint at exactly what point in time that they became "americanized" because at that point there would be no story.  Overall, How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents did not teach me anything because I could not relate to anything that occured in the book.  It is difficult to take away anything from this book because I found it unrelatable.  Though, if it did teach me anything at all, it was that I should not be strict with my kids in the future, because they will rebel, and that is something that I really do not want to deal with.

2 comments:

  1. John I completely understand what you mean because the Garcia Girls really didn't teach me much either. Although, you make a good point saying that you shouldn't write a book in reverse chronological order because in my opinion that was very confusing and pretty stupid. It was not a good choice by the author. Also, I agree with your statement saying the book was not meant to teach life lessons and that it was more to show the lives of the girls in the story. That's a good point and supports your points. Another solid post Johnny Mac keep up the good work my man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I would say that you make a valid point that the book was not too clear on a lesson to learn for the future. I do believe that you could dig a little deeper and just get a little something out of it. There obviously was some family tension, so you could have gone off of that and learned not to be like the Garcia girl's parents. Other than that you really are right, the book was a tale maybe more for a foreigner to learn something. I respect your opinion and actually like the honesty, keep it up John!

    ReplyDelete