Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blog Post #3

In today's society we assume that all people are equal regardless of sex or gender, but the assumption is not very true.  In reality we expect men to be the breadwinners of the household and women to be in charge of the house/child rearing.  In the eyes of the other sex, men and women are perceived differently.  For most people I believe that it is based on how they were raised as opposed to having a pre-determined disposition.  So for most people I believe that their perception may be different (however slight), from another person, so it would be hard for me to determine what another person might think of the other sex because I would not know how they were raised.  I think that one advantage is that men might be more likely to receive a promotion over a woman, which is also a disadvantage for a woman.  I think that men have more of an advantage in the job world, but an advantage for women is that they usually will have more power in the household than their husband.  I think that one stereotype for men to women is that men might think that women might be looked at as housewives instead of career women.  Most times the stereotypes are negative towards women, though there are some negative stereotypes about men that women see.  Women might think that most men are unfaithful because that is the stereotype surrounding men.  Most stereotypes in general are negative about the other sex.
If Carlos, the father, were posed the question about the Alice in Chains pill, I think that he would say no because he thinks to highly of himself as the lone male of the family to put himself through that torture of hearing Alice in Chains for the rest of his life.  I think he would step up though, and take care of the mother, Mami, when she had her collarbones broken every three years.  Overall, I think that his ego may guide him to day no to the pill.

3 comments:

  1. I agree John with almost everything you had to say. men are more likely to receive a promotion in the workplace not to say that women cant out-do men in fact I think more and more women everyday start to do better than men to give themselves advantages in life and in the workplace. I disagree with the fact that most stereotypes are towards women though I feel as though we only think that because we hear the stereotypes from other males. I believe females have their own stereotypes for guys such as "pig" or "filthy" and "lazy" etc. But that just how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Johnny Mac, I completely agree with you on your point that it depends how people were raised. If they grow up seeing something a certain way, they learn to develop it and become that was as well. I also think you made a good point saying men are more likely to recieve promotions over women, it may not be fair but it does seem to happen a lot in today's society. I think you are also right about women thinking men are unfaithful because that is often the case between men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, your view on men being the one to bring money home to the family is what most people think today. I agree that the way you are raised and what your parents teach you play a big role in shaping your opinion against men and women. I agree that most stereotypes against women are negative but at the same time are inaccurate.

    ReplyDelete